ABOUT THE FOUNDATION
Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary Foundation is the local non-profit partner for NOAA’s Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary and its chief advocate.
A healthy Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary recognized as a national treasure for its unique and abundant biodiversity, and widespread community support.
To inspire the public to protect Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary through participation in and support of sanctuary programs, projects, and partnerships.
How we achieve our mission:
We work in partnership with the Office of National Marine Sanctuaries and National Marine Sanctuary Foundation to:
- Engage the public through public outreach and education programs.
- Advocate on behalf of Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary.
- Develop and strengthen partnerships to protect biodiversity and enhance ecosystem health in the sanctuary through coordinated action.
Areas of focus:
In the near-term, the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary Foundation will focus on:
- BayNet – training volunteers to educate about 40,000 people per year along recreation trails about the sanctuary and protecting local wildlife.
- Team OCEAN – naturalists who volunteer their time to talk with the public about the sanctuary and helps keep boaters from harming wildlife.
- Whale Rescue – supporting whale disentanglement and rescue programs through responder training and equipment upgrades.