Join us for Sanctuary Fest on September 18th to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary and the 50th anniversary of the National Marine Sanctuary System!
Sanctuary Fest will take place in Santa Cruz from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. along the Santa Cruz Wharf, Cowell Beach, and at the Sanctuary Exploration Center located across the street. Come enjoy, experience ocean recreation activities, and learn how you can help protect Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary. This free, family-friendly event will feature:
- Free kayaking nature tours from the Santa Cruz Wharf with Venture Quest Kayaks (must be pre-registered, limited space available, see “Free Activities Registration” below).
- Free stand-up paddleboarding lessons at Cowell Beach with Club Ed Surf School (must be pre-registered, limited space available, see “Free Activities Registration” below).
- Free guided sanctuary wildlife tours along the Santa Cruz Wharf with knowledgeable NOAA staff (must be pre-registered, limited space available, see “Free Activities Registration” below).
- Partner exhibitor fair with valued sanctuary partners in ocean protection, education, and conservation.
- Speaker’s ceremony with sanctuary superintendent and special guests.
- Virtual scavenger hunt with sanctuary-themed prizes!
- Marine science talks by NOAA staff at the Sanctuary Exploration Center.
- Fish printing, kids art activities, short ocean film festival, and more!
Alongside our partners Pu Pu’O Hawai’i Outrigger Canoe Club, experience the 30th annual Aloha Outrigger Races starting off the wharf beginning at 9:00 a.m!
Stop by the free exhibitor fair featuring our partners: Save The Waves, Marine Life Studies, Elkhorn Slough National Estuarine Research Reserve, Save the Whales, O’Neill Sea Odyssey, California Marine Sanctuary Foundation, Save Our Shores, and many more!
Free Activities Registration:
All participants must pre-register here for the following free activities using the reservation system. If a preferred activity or time slot is already filled, you can register to be placed on the waitlist.
- Kayak nature tour hosted by Venture Quest Kayaks: 4 tours available, 1.5 hours in duration, limited to 12 participants
- Stand-up paddleboarding lesson at Cowell Beach with Club Ed Surf School: 4 sessions available, 1.5 hours in duration, limited to 12 participants
- Guided sanctuary wildlife tour along the Santa Cruz Wharf: 2 tours available, 30 minutes in duration, limited to 12 participants
For more information and full schedule of events, visit HERE.